Wednesday, January 27, 2010

NEWSFLASH!!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/01/26/france.burqa.ban/index.html

1 comment:

  1. I think this is an interesting article because we can sort of shift our focus for a second, to women living outside of the U.S. or even in it, but from a very female oppressive society. Ive always thought that the laws of the middle east, concerning womens rights were some of the harshest, cruelest, most vile. It absolutely upsets me that women feel that it is OKAY or even acceptable to wear these burqa's on their face. While i share different opinions in religion, i cant imagine walking around on the streets of nyc, seeing all these womens faces, but unable to show mine. While im sure a lot of the women in that culture feel that way, they must have no ability to speak out, the punishment i can only imagine would be harsh and painful. But I feel like these are the women whom we really need to help. The united states has it pretty good. Women now a days are given almost equal opportunities.But in the middle east women are subjected to some of the most stereotypical gender roles. It is great to see this sort of change happening but it could not have happened soon enough, I'd really like to learn more about women in this culture and their lives, because I think it would make us feel even more passionate about our movement but at the same time happy and proud of the success and progress we have made as as culture and as a group of women.

    ReplyDelete