Monday, March 22, 2010

Abortion

I'm going to respond to Muscio's article "Abortion, Vacuum Cleaners and the Power Within". For me, the abortion argument is both an upsetting argument, and one that really has passionate followers, both pro and anti. I am passionately on the pro-choice side, and whenever I hear about people standing outside of abortion clinics, holding up baby-killer signs it infuriates me. This debate infuriates me. While I believe, and strongly acknowledge, that both sides have a right to feel what they feel, I can't STAND those, who feel it necessary to make the other side look terrible or who feel that their way is the only way. And I appreciate Muscio's article because at first when i started reading it, I felt like, oh man here comes another girl who is saying just horrible things about abortion and how its killing lives and horror stories, and yet she didnt. Muscio says that abortion is painful, yet she believes that by having a greater communication or outlet between women will help diminish the abortion debate. I have some issues with her argument. The first being, while abortions are not fun day at the park, I do believe now that there are different methods, less painful methods of carrying on abortions, and so while I do not belittle her story and her pain as a reason to avoid "the vacuum" I simply do not think that it is relevant, because having a child is just as painful, so if its about the pain aspect, I dont care. Secondly, yes the world would be better if we could find ways to avoid having abortions or having more organic ways, but science isnt perfect and neither are abortions. Of course there should be movements and or projects/experiments to try and find these better options but until then, we are stuck with what we have. Making women scared about the pain that is going to happen when you have an abortion is just terrible, I mean the worst thing that could happen is for someone to have a child and abandon it, which happens a lot.Another thing is, yes this is a patriarchical issue, but at the same time, its not. Its a biological issue, but an issue that isnt an issue, its just nature. Women are the one's who carry the child, so regardless, this is always going to be an issue that women will deal with. Blame it on eve if you want, but thats the way its ALWAYS been. And so I believe that if a woman decides to have sex, like this girl did, then it is wonderful and lucky that she has the option of aborting having a child if she isnt ready for it. I mean this argument can go on forever. Women who are raped shouldnt have to feel guilty about not wanting to carry a rapists' child. Or what about a 14 year old who messes up? Is that child going to be happy as an adopted child? Or is that child going to be happy being supported by a 14 year old and vice versa? My point is, women are going to have sex. And we SHOULD if we decide to have sex (obviously excluding rape) have awareness of birth control methods, which is something Muscio acknowledges she should have done. Yet, I dont believe that women shouldn't have the option of raising a child. Not to mention, a lot of women end up single and parenting the child on their own, its just not fair, and many agree. So for those women, who think abortion is terrible, I think thats fine, and thats fair. Then THEY dont have to ever have one. But for people to constantly be making other people feel bad about REALLY personal decisions, that carry a LOT of factors both socially and economically is SO frustrating to me. Because this is America, and we pride ourselves on our diversity and our freedoms. And while I disagree with late-term abortions, I believe that abortions are a personal choice and a free choice and if they are done early enough in the pregnancy then that is something more legitimate and noble and I can completly understand that position. And while talking about it in a group setting, like Muscio suggests, maybe beneficial, and may help one figure out the right decision personally, I don't think thats a solution because its not. Helping women find the "power within" isnt going to make the reality of a child, fade away, and I am not sure how it would make the abortion debate disappear. Because if she is saying that it will make those who are against pro-choice better understand the decisions made by those women who took it upon themselves, to make a decision about their body and their child, then great, if she cant find this miracle "power within" im sure she would get paid a lot of money. But this movement is just, it would have to be a cultural change, one that doesnt have religion in it because religion plays a huge part in this debate. And i dont see religion fading out of peoples lives and beliefs anytime soon. Abortion is something that in some states is legal and in some illegal, and if it is either/or in one's state, then I believe that the people of that state should respect it, disagree with it if they want, but respect it. And if not, move to another state. Sorry if this offends anyone, but this debate gets me heated, not because I dislike pro-life people but because i hate the way that they yell and criticize the other side. I just, I hate it.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had similar issues with Muscio's article as Monica did. While I cannot speak on experience and Muscio's description of abortion did sound miserable, it is a woman's choice if she wants to go through with that misery. As Monica points out, childbirth is no walk in the park. Not to mention the 9 months spent suffering through pregnancy symptoms. Additionally, I am somewhat skeptical of these "natural" abortion methods. Every woman is different and every woman is going to react differently to these methods. What happens when one woman tries these "natural" methods for months, but they fail, and as she tries the fetus is growing larger and larger and harder and harder to abort? In my opinion, Muscio's article read as one person's personal experience and did not convince me that clinical abortions are the worst thing in the world. They are there if they are needed, and others are free to explore these "organic" options.

    Crews' article was touching, but in some ways she is ignoring what may be best for a child. In many cases, a woman's love for her child and desire to raise it may not be enough to ensure that the child has the best life possible. Many points that she made, however, were important. What I found to be most important in her article was the statement that, "She had the right to make a choice for herself and her future without being harrassed and intimidated."

    I felt Arcana's conclusion summed up how abortion should be dealt with very well. "We need to speak of our abortions, not in the atmosphere of guilt and shame," she writes, "...but in open recognition of our joy or sadness, our regret or relief - in conscious acceptance of the responsibility of our choice."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found Inga Muscio’s article to be interesting but I too was skeptical of Muscio’s support of “natural” abortion. I understand not wanting to go through the pain of another invasive “vacuum cleaner” abortion, especially for this woman’s third time. In general I am skeptical of the advice the author has to give because it is difficult to accept her as a responsible source. Preventing an unwanted pregnancy, especially if you are having sex regularly involves being active and responsible about birth control. It seems this woman’s carelessness was truly the cause of her pregnancies, and in my opinion, someone with that degree of irresponsibility is just stupid—especially after knowing the painful consequences of not using a birth control method. Furthermore, the natural abortion which she described in her article seems a little be unreliable. What if these herbal medicines and massaging did not actually result in an aborted fetus? If someone wants an abortion they are making a very serious decision about being unable to carry and care for a child. To leave that decision up to chance, relying only on the natural remedies that may not work is also an irresponsible way to approach pregnancy. Of course in an ideal world, natural abortions would prevent a lot of pain and provide the emotional support for the woman making that decision, however it seems unrealistic to ever rely on such an undependable procedure.

    ReplyDelete