So earlier this week i pasted a link to a newsflash on cnn reporting that France has called for a ban of the burqa in schools and hospitals. And when I first read the article, I saw it as a good thing for feminists. An unveiling of beauty, but as I read further on this article, I saw one that read that a muslim women was "proud to wear her burqa" and then it got me thinking. Is it possible for women, like the one in this story, to genuinely enjoy wearing the burqa? Or is this a sign of sever programming, ingrained in not only someones culture but their own religion. It must be very different when society and men tell you to do one thing but quite another when your GOD is telling you how to dress. I truly wonder if these women , if given the option to live with out a burqa would not enjoy the freeness of having the wind in your face. I just think that these women say they like it, but in reality if they say they dont they are beaten and punished. I dont know...thoughts?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that this article raises a very interesting societal tension many women are faced with today. The common Western attitude is to look at burqa wearing as oppressive and offensive, but this article appears to say that this may not be completely accurate. If anything, I think that this issue is one that many Western women can related to. As highlighted in the "Girlie" article, many feminists see dressing as a "girly girl" a form of oppression by patriarchal society. I, however, am not entirely convinced that this is true. I enjoy dressing feminine and wearing skits and dresses, but do not think that i am being controlled by society. Perhaps I am just so completely brainwashed by socially construction expectations that I don't even realize it, but dressing feminine does not bother me in the least. Call me naive but I believe that I can be feminine and still be taken seriously by my peers. I don't think that the two are mutually exclusive necessarily.
ReplyDelete